Israëlische activisten in Oost-Jeruzalem in solidariteit met Gaza (Foto: Oren Ziv, 2021)
Gaza residents are currently facing the deadliest offensive in their history. This comes on top of the humanitarian disaster caused by the Israeli blockade that has been in place for 16 years. We unequivocally condemn all attacks on civilian populations, including Hamas' attacks on Israeli civilians that have killed over a thousand people since 7 October. However, no attack justifies violations of the laws of war.
After nearly three weeks of incessant bombing, more than 6,000 Palestinians have been killed by Israeli bombs. More than a third are children. Many hundreds are missing and lying under the rubble. Moreover, Israel has completely sealed off the Gaza Strip, cutting off supplies of water, electricity, food and fuel and access to humanitarian aid. The destruction of Gaza is taking place before our eyes.
These actions, which constitute war crimes and even crimes against humanity, should be seen in the light of alarming statements by Israeli officials pointing out that they do not want to attack Hamas, but the entire population of Gaza.
In the West Bank and Jerusalem, settlers with the support of the Israeli army have stepped up their violent attacks, killing dozens of Palestinians since 7 October.
The European Union and the US bear a crushing responsibility by refusing to demand that all parties respect international law and by allowing violations to go unpunished. Both have lost international credibility by expressing solidarity and support for an occupation and a colonial power, an Apartheid state.
To achieve a just and lasting peace:
1. We demand an immediate ceasefire, the protection of the civilian population and provision for the basic needs for the people of Gaza;
2. We call for the rights of all to be respected in accordance with international humanitarian law and international human rights law, including the release of all those unlawfully deprived of their liberty, hostages and political prisoners;
3. We urge all nations and international institutions to pressure Israel to end the siege of Gaza, to end the occupation and colonization of Gaza and the West Bank and to cut trade relations with the illegal settlements in the occupied Palestinian territories in line with international law;
4. We call for all those responsible for war crimes to be held accountable;
5. We condemn any support for war crimes or attacks on civilians, or any expression of anti-Semitism or any other form of racism;
6. We wish to express our support and our solidarity with the Palestinian struggle for their inalienable rights.
Iets fouts of onduidelijks gezien op deze pagina? Laat het ons weten!